Tag Archives: deserialization

Returning the Correct HTTP Status Code in TastyPie: 400 Bad Request

Another problem I’ve encountered with TastyPie is that a 500 Internal Server error is thrown when the user sends bad input. One of my clients was using hurl.it to try out an API that I wrote, using hand written JSON. Ocassionally there would be mistakes, such as the use of single quotes instead of double quotes, or the inclusion of a trailing comma, which would cause JSON deserialization to fail. Instead of catching this error and returning a 400 Bad Request response, TatsyPie just lets the error propagate, resulting in a 500 Internal Server Error. Here’s some code I wrote to fix that: